Tuesday, February 5, 2019

You Can't Fight Change


==========
February 1st, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
==========

It’s dusk in the great city of Boston, Massachusetts as Marie Annabelle Jones drives through the streets on her way towards her home.  She arrived back in her hometown after Breakdown this past Wednesday and fulfilling a few more Supreme Championship Wrestling obligations.  And after the events of Making Things Right and Breakdown, the smile on Marie’s face will most likely have to be surgically removed.

Some things change, some things stay the same.  Many believe that  Marie Jones has changed.  Her formerly ardent supporters are now her biggest critics, claiming she sold out to Katya and Dark Fantasy.  But those are just words.  In one ear and out the other.  Marie doesn’t care what they think, because at the end of the day, she alone knows the truth.  She knows that she hasn’t really changed at all.  She is the same person she always has been.  Marie is still the same person who believes in fighting so hard for what is right, even if what is right may be unpopular and may make her unpopular in the process.  And yes, siding with Katya and Dark Fantasy may have made her unpopular, but she is convinced, at least in her own mind, that she is on the right side of history.

Case in point, she finally got the one opportunity she had always wanted since signing with Supreme Championship Wrestling; a shot at the World Championship.  It was an opportunity she never gained under the previous administration and now with Katya in charge Marie has not just had one title shot but is now about to receive her second opportunity.  Syren won back the World Championship at Making Things Right and is living up to her promise to defend the title against Marie at Breakdown.

Things are finally beginning to look up for Marie Annabelle Jones and that alone is evidence enough for her that she has made the right decisions.  Still people doubt and criticize her.  But those critics cannot bring her down from her positive attitude.  For the first time in a very long time Marie feels confident and upbeat about her future within SCW.  Her destiny of becoming SCW World Champion is just fingertips away.  She isn’t going to start doubting herself and her judgment now.

Let them doubt her judgment.  Let them criticize.  She is riding high and her life couldn’t be more perfect, both professionally and personally.  Professionally, her wrestling career is right where she wants it.  Personally, she has the love of her husband Arthur.  Sure, they have had their rough patches.  Twice in the last year and a half they nearly broke up but Marie feels as if their relationship is stronger than ever.

The redheaded Boston native does enjoy being back in her hometown, the city she loves more than anywhere else, but she is especially looking forward to being with Arthur.  She looks forward to putting the doubters and critics out of her mind and just focusing on being loved and beloved by her husband.

She’s earned it.

Jones turns into her drive and slowly comes to a stop.  After turning her car off she exits the driver’s side with her gym bag in hand.  Marie is dressed in a simple pair of black flats, long black dress pants, a red sweater, and her signature black leather jacket.  Her long gorgeous red hair hangs unrestrained to just below the shoulders.  She has her gym bag slung over her shoulder as she walks up to the front door.  She is pleased to find that Arthur left the door unlocked for her as she turns the knob and steps inside.  She shuts the door behind her.

“Arthur?  Sean?” Marie pauses for a brief moment to wait on an answer.  “I’m home!”

Jones waits again for an answer, a few seconds pass and then “I’m in here, Marie.”

A warm smile spreads across her face as she drops her gym bag where she stands.  Marie then approaches the sound of her husband’s voice.  Upon entering the living room she finds Arthur standing by the fireplace.  He already has a warm fire going.  Two glasses of red wine are sitting on a coffee table in front of their comfortable plush cream colored sofa.  Clearly Arthur has been planning this for quite some time.  Normally he would travel with her but ever since Bound by Blood he hasn’t been on as many trips and tours with her.  It’s by Marie’s request and as much as it pains her to be away from her husband, she believes it is for the best.  She knows that while he tries to keep most of his criticism to himself in the name of sounding supportive that he does secretly disagree with her decision to side with Katya.  Him being with her on the road during the current tumultuous times in SCW would only cause further tension, tension that they do not need right now, especially after Marie had at one time not too long ago cheated on him with Blake Mason.

Still, being away from your loved one is difficult.  Arthur clearly missed Marie and wants to make up for some lost time.  The Phoenix approaches her husband with an open embrace.  They hug each other tightly and then kiss passionately for several seconds.  They break the kiss and then Marie lets her head rest on his chest.

“You went all out, didn’t you?” Marie coos.

“I’m not sure I’d go as far as to say I went all out.” Arthur chuckles. “I mean, this isn’t some five star restaurant or anything.  Also I forgot flowers…”

“I forgive you.” Marie says with a smirk on her face.

“Thanks.  Besides, sometimes I think the simpler things are the best.  You know what I mean?”

“I do,” Marie says, nodding her head “just you and me, a warm fire…”

“Wine.” Arthur motions to the wine glasses on the table. “Your favorite...Merlot.”

“Sounds delicious…” Marie’s voice trails off as she shuts her eyes.  She is in sheer joy as she imagines the taste of the wine on her lips.  Then suddenly, almost as if a lightbulb went off in her head, her eyes open wide. “...wait, where’s Sean?”

“He’s staying with his great aunt Kayla for the night.” Arthur says with a wry grin on his face.

“And what about Melinda?”

“She’s with Kayla as well.  Kayla’s brother is representing her in court, so Kayla had no issues with keeping Melinda tonight, especially after I told her of my plans.” Arthur smirks. “So you know what that means?”

“It means that you and I have the house all to ourselves?”

“That’s right.” He says, nodding his head. “Plenty of time to catch up.”

“I like your thinking.” Marie coos as she allows herself to be led over to the sofa.  Arthur sits down first, followed by Marie sitting down next to him.  They embrace again and begin to passionately kiss.

Things grow more and more intense until Marie pushes him down and she mounts him.  The kissing and groping continue.  Marie cannot keep her hands off of him and the feeling is mutual for Arthur.  Maybe even more so for Arthur because he hasn’t been allowed to see Marie for so long due to the intense SCW schedule.  Marie reaches down and slowly pulls off her sweater and casts it aside.  This leaves Marie with only a lacy black bra covering her top.

Arthur meanwhile helps undo her pants.  Marie and Arthur slowly pull the pants off and cast them aside, leaving Marie now in just her bra and panties.  They resume their passionate kissing and it goes on for several more minutes until…

“Oh...Blake!”

Marie doesn’t even realize what she just said but Arthur definitely notices it.  He stops kissing Marie and shakes his head as he gently pushes her off of him.

“Whoa, hold on a second, Marie…”

“What are you do…” just then it hits her and Marie sighs “...oh, shit.  I’m sorry, babe.  I didn’t mean to.  It just...uh...”

“Don’t.” Arthur shakes his head. “Just don’t.  I get it, I understand.”

Arthur sits back up on the sofa as does Marie, who looks genuinely penitent as she stares at her husband.

“You have to know I didn’t mean it.”

“Uh, maybe we should just drink some wine until this incredibly awkward moment passes.  Ok?”

Arthur doesn’t even wait for Marie to agree, he just reaches over, snatches one of the two pre-poured glasses of wine, and takes a sip.  Marie sits there for a few moments, waiting on Arthur to say something; anything.  But when no words escape his lips she likewise takes a glass of wine and takes a sip.

“I’m sorry, Arthur.  I really am sorry.  I’ve just had a lot on my mind lately.”

“Wrestling?”  Marie nods her head slowly.  Arthur sighs.  “Yeah, I figured.  Like I said, I understand.  I should have known what I was getting into when I married you, that I was also marrying into this sport.”

“Yeah, you’re right, you were marrying into this sport when you married me.  But if you think this has anything to do with Blake and what happened between us, then you’re wrong.  That’s over and done with.”

“And yet he is back in SCW.” Arthur says flatly. “He is back with the company touring with you and I’m not.”

“Arthur, don’t start that…” Marie’s voice trails off.

“It’s hard not to start into that.” Arthur says as he takes another sip of wine. “That was the one thing Katya did that I actually liked.  She fired Blake Mason and that meant he wouldn’t be anywhere near you to tempt you.”

His voice is dripping with venom as the bad memories of Marie’s affair with him all come back to light.

“I don’t like Katya, I think her and Dark Fantasy are using you.  But I was glad she fired Blake because at least that temptation would be gone.  I don’t trust him, Marie.  I’m sorry, but I just don’t trust him.  Now he’s back in the company touring with you and yet you still won’t let me come on the tours with you.”

“If you’re that damn insecure, then buy a damn ticket.” Marie snaps back at her husband angrily with vitriol of her own seeping through. “I can’t stop you from buying a fucking ticket but I can stop you from coming with me and apparently keeping you away from me during my SCW business was a good idea.”

“Why the hell would you want to stay away from me?  Your husband!”

“Because of this!  I just got over a self-confidence problem!  I just regained confidence I had lost from months of being a walking mat!  I finally got my legitimate shot at the world championship and now I get another, against Syren on Breakdown!  I get to face one of the greatest wrestlers in the world today!  This is huge for my career and I do not need your insecurity poisoning my professional life right now!”

“Insecurity?” Arthur is fuming now.  He tips the glass and chugs down the rest of his wine in one gulp.  He slams the glass back down on the table. “I think I have a right to be insecure.  You did have an affair with Blake Mason!”

“I thought we had gotten past that!” Marie exclaims.

“How do I get past that?  That’s like your mother asking you to just get over the fact that she put a bullet through your dad’s head!”

That was a mistake.  Marie immediately slaps the taste out of Arthur’s mouth.  He rubs his cheek as Marie stares at him with hatred in his eyes.

“Don’t you DARE bring up my father!”

“Why not?  You hate him.  You’ve said so yourself.  And you hate your mother.  Those are just a few of the questionable judgment calls you’ve been making; and that’s not to mention the questionable judgment call you made in siding with people like Katya and Syren and Ravyn.”

“You don’t even know them!”

“You know what?  You’re right.” Arthur nods his head. “I don’t know them, but then again how the hell could I get to know them when you won’t let me come to any damn shows?!”

“And this is precisely why I cannot let you come to shows with me!” Marie snaps back, poking a finger into his chest. “Because YOU act like a damn child!”

“And you are acting with a highly questionable judgment.  How can I trust you to stay away from someone like Blake Mason when you’re attracted to scum like Katya and Dark Fantasy?  How can I trust you stay away from Blake when your oh so perfect judgment tells you that mocking the memory of your dead father and disrespecting your own mother are acceptable actions?”

Marie strikes Arthur again, this time it is with a closed fist and the force of it causes Arthur to go tumbling off of the sofa.  He crashing onto the coffee table, causing to break under his weight.  The Phoenix stands up, shocked at first at what she does but then she steels herself.  She convinces herself that she was in the right with every second that Arthur uses to push himself back up to his feet.  Arthur gets nose to nose with Marie.

“Get out, Arthur!”

“Are you kicking me out?!”

“That’s what I saidI” Marie shouts. “I’ve had enough of you questioning me!  You’ve questioned and doubted me ever since we got together!  You never once believed in me, you never once supported me, you treated me like a fucking child and I have had it!”

“So is this…” Arthur’s voice trails off as he is trying to comprehend what she has just said “...are we through?”

“I don’t…” Marie has to ponder this for a moment before sighing “...I don’t know.  I just know that I don’t want to see you right now.”

She points towards the front door. “Leave.”

Arthur just stands for a few moments.  He isn’t quite sure what he wants to do and, for that matter, Marie isn’t sure what he’ll do either.  Marie notices Arthur balling up his fist, as if he is preparing to strike her.  Arthur then sighs as he relaxes.  A tear can be seen forming in his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Marie.  This was supposed to be me making things right between us.  I guess I screwed it up.”

Arthur turns and starts to walk off.  Marie considers stopping him.  She only considers it for a brief moment and then thinks better of it.  She watches him exit the front door, potentially leaving him forever.

Marie drops back down onto the sofa and begins to cry.

==========
February 2nd, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
==========

This was not how it was supposed to be.  Her professional life was looking up and she thought her personal life was looking up after she nearly lost her marriage due to an affair she had with Blake Mason.  She was convinced that Arthur had forgiven her.  She was convinced that the two of them had moved past that and that their relationship was stronger because of it.

She couldn’t have been more wrong.

It was just a band-aid over a wound.  It was bound to bleed out sooner or later.  It was bound to boil over yet again.  Marie was naive to think that this issue was over and she cannot help but blame herself.

From Arthur’s perspective Marie was keeping him away and it made him suspicious and extremely jealous.  Marie knew she wasn’t doing anything.  She knew she wasn’t going to cheat on him again.  But how could you not understand how Arthur would be at least somewhat suspicious considering she had an affair once before?

Marie didn’t care, though.  She was blinded by her own problems.  She was blinded by her own drive to be successful, to get to the top of SCW.  She was blinded by her drive to one day be SCW World Champion to see what she had been doing to Arthur’s psyche.

It’s not entirely Marie’s fault.  Arthur has been criticizing her a great deal lately.  He hasn’t been very supportive of her.  In a way, he first pushed her towards making the drastic move of having an affair.  As in most cases, both parties share part of the blame.  Still, Marie doesn’t see that.  In her mind, she is entirely at fault.

She can only hope that Arthur will return and that they can make things right.

The Crown Jewel of Professional Wrestling is in no condition to be left alone right now.  Emotionally and mentally she feels completely broken.  She called her friend Melinda Jade and has asked her to come back home.  Marie is still lying on the sofa, the same position she was in the previous night, still crying.  Melinda is sitting in a recliner nearby, watching her good friend.

Melinda wants to help but she knows that there are no words that she can say that can make it better.  The best thing she can do is just be there for her.  Sometimes being there to listen is the best comfort a friend could ever want.

“This is my fault…” Marie has been repeating this mantra for the past several minutes and it drives Melinda crazy.  Melinda, as an ex-convict who has reformed her own life, knows better than anyone when it’s the time to accept blame and when it isn’t.  She is convinced that this is not one of those times.

“Ya know, Annabelle, I get that you had the affair with that Mason dude and all, but let’s be honest, Arthur hasn’t been treating you like a wife, like an equal.  Lately he’s been treating you like a fucking kid.”

“I know…” Marie’s voice trails off.

“Then pull yourself together.” Marie sits up.  Melinda notices the tears in her friend’s eyes and immediately hands her a tissue. “I mean, I get that you’re upset.  You have reason to be.  Your hubby left ya.  I get it.  But I’ve witnessed some pretty intense break ups and no one has reacted like you have.”

“I know, Mel, I know.” Marie uses the tissue to wipe some of the tears out of her eyes and then blow her nose. “This is different for me, though.”

“In what way?”

“It’s just…” Marie sighs and shakes her head “...you wouldn’t understand.”

“You know who you’re talking to, right?” Melinda grins knowingly.

“Oh, right, the convicted felon.” Marie rolls her eyes.

“Yup!  Trust me, I’ve seen a lot of crazy shit, there’s very little I wouldn’t understand, babe.”

“I don’t know…” Marie’s voice trails off.

“Try me.  At the very least I’m a good listener, you know?  Trust me, sometimes all you need is someone to listen to ya.  I had a fucking awesome cellmate.  She didn’t always understand my problems but she always listened to me bitch and that made me feel good.”

“Well…” she sighs and relents “...ok, you know my father died when I was young.  I grew up without much of a father figure in my life.  Then I was...I was…”

Marie cannot get the word ‘raped’ out of her mouth but Melinda has heard this story enough times to know what Marie is referring to.  Melinda gets up out of the recliner and sits down next to Marie on the sofa.  She places an arm around her shoulder.

“It’s ok, babe.”

“Everyone told me not to have the baby.  Everyone told me to have an abortion but I chickened out at the last minute.  I couldn’t do it.”

“You didn’t chicken out.” Melinda says sternly. “Your body, your choice.”

“Right, well when I had Sean I wanted to make sure at the very least he would have the one thing I didn’t have; a father figure.  First was Damian and he was abusive.”

“Yeah, I remember you telling me about el-creepo.” Melinda answers back.

“Then many years went by without anyone in my life; I legitimately thought I would be a single mother and have to raise him on my own the rest of my life.  Not that I couldn’t do it, because I knew I could, but I wanted Sean to have a good male role model to look up to.  I was scared that he wouldn’t have that.  But then Arthur came along.”

A warm grin spreads across her face as she thinks about Arthur. “He was so good to Sean and Sean loved him back, as if Arthur were his real father.  Arthur definitely has his flaws but he is very good with Sean.  I’m worried that I now lost that for Sean.”

“Oh, ‘Belle,” Melinda remarks, using her nickname for Marie as she shakes her head “you don’t get it.”

“Get what?” Marie asks curiously.

“Love isn’t perfect, babe.  It doesn’t always work out the way we think it should.  It damn sure don’t operate on our time table.  If the right guy for you and Sean is to come along, he’ll come along on his own time, babe.  You just have to have faith in that.  Besides, you don’t need a man in order to raise Sean properly.”

“Thanks Mel, but…”

“Not done, babe.” Melinda interrupts. “You said it yourself, you know that you can do it all on your own.  I know you can raise him on your own and that you’ll do a damn good of it.  You’re a good person, Marie.  You can do it.”

“Not everyone thinks that.” Marie says with a sigh.

“If they disagree then fuck ‘em.  You don’t need that kinda shit in your life.  You make decisions, there are consequences to those decisions, and are your decisions always right?” Melinda shakes her head. “No, you make mistakes.  But we all do.  It’s what makes us human.  But shit, one thing I can say for damn sure is that everything you do is with good intentions.  You have wholesome motives.  And I do think that’s important.”

For the first time since Arthur walked out of the house and left, Marie smiles.  She leans in and embraces her friend Melinda in a tight hug.

“Thanks, Mel.  I needed that.”

“Hey, what are friends for?” Melinda asks with a sheepish grin.

Melinda and Marie break the embrace.  Melinda then places a hand on her friend’s shoulder.

“I’m sure he’ll be back, babe.  You didn’t tell him it was over, did ya?”

“I almost did.” Marie sighs. “And for a moment I did think that I wanted it to be over.  He has been treating me like a child for as long as I know.  But call me a sappy romantic if you want, I still believe that he and I can work this out.”

“You are a sappy romantic, ‘Belle,” Melinda smirks “but you’re right, I think you two can work this out.  If anyone can, it’s you.  But promise me one thing…”

“What’s that?” Marie asks.

“If he walks his happy ass back through those doors and you do take him back, let his ass know that things are gonna be different from now on.  You got it?  He has to start treating you like an equal.  Ok?”

“You’re right, Mel.” Marie nods her head. “I’ll definitely let him know where things stand from here on.”

“And if he’s not ok with it, then it’s over.  Right?”

“Well…” Marie isn’t sure she is ready to go that far yet.  She still wants this to work, not just for her sake but for her son’s sake.  For Sean.  She isn’t ready to pull the trigger on ending this marriage. “...we’ll cross that bridge if we have to.”

“Annabelle, you need to be tough with a guy like him.  Ok?  You need to let him know that the way he’s been treating you won’t cut it anymore.”

“I know, but…” before Marie can finish her thought she hears a knocking at her front door.  She feels relieved.  She doesn’t think Melinda truly understands her desire to have a male role model for her son Sean.  She isn’t sure anyone truly does but she does know that Arthur has been a great role model up until this point.  She wants to make this work out, whether Melinda or anyone else agrees with her or not.

“If that’s Arthur you tell him what I just told you.  Ok, ‘Belle?”

“Will do, Mel.”

Marie gets up off of the sofa.  She exits the living room and steps into the hallway.  From there she approaches the front door and opens it.  She is surprised to see a police officer standing there; a female.

This isn’t the first time the authorities have been at Marie’s home.  Just before her first world title opportunity at the End of the Year Special police arrived to arrest Melinda Jade for violating her parole.  Immediately Marie starts to consider what Melinda may have done to bring the police out here.  She can’t think of anything Melinda did wrong, she’s been trying to stay on the straight and narrow to avoid further legal entanglements but Marie cannot think of any other reason why the authorities would be there.

“Ye...yes, that’s me.  Uh, how may I…” Marie is clearly nervous and having trouble finding her words “...how may I help you?”

“Is your husband Arthur Pond?”

“Yes, that’s him.” Immediately Marie’s face goes pale.  What’s wrong with her husband?

“Mr. Pond was out drinking last night.  He drank heavily.” The female officer clearly has some bad news, Marie can tell by the look on her face.  But no doubt this officer has had to deliver bad news before.  “I’m sorry, but he shot himself in the  bathroom of the bar where he was drinking.”

“He…” Marie’s voice fades, she isn’t ready to accept this so she asks for clarification, despite knowing what the dreaded answer will be “...he killed himself?”

“I’m afraid so, ma’am.”





==========
On Camera
==========

“Haunted” by Taylor Swift can be heard playing in the background, even as the scene fades in to show an empty training area.  Workout equipment is scattered all over the floor.  A boxing heavy bag is dangling from the roof.  There is also a standard size professional wrestling ring set up.  The music slowly dies down as the sound of heels across the gray concrete is heard.  It isn’t long until Marie Annabelle Jones steps into view from stage right.  Jones is wearing black high heel patent leather pumps, a plack knee length skirt, a red blouse, and her signature black leather jacket.  Her long red hair is left to flow smooth and gorgeously to just below her shoulders.  A pair of sunglasses cover her eyes.  The music comes to a stop as Marie turns to face the camera.  A look of confidence goes well with the poise she seems to have as she gazes into the camera.

“Legend says that it was the sin of pride that caused Satan to be kicked out of heaven.  If you believe the good book, pride is also what tempted Adam and Eve and caused them to fall out of God’s good graces.  Pride is most definitely one of humanity’s biggest flaws, there is no doubt about that.  But I would argue that humanity has another flaw that is equally as potent.  It is a flaw that can an be the undoing of mankind just as easily as pride.  It is a flaw that has brought down empires in the past and will continue to bring down empires.”

“Change; specifically, the fact that humanity absolutely hates change.  Let’s face facts, we are creatures of habit and when we get into a rhythm we like we do not want that rhythm to change.  Once we get used to a certain way of doing things, we do not want to stop.  And if anyone ever dares to suggest of a new way of doing things, we fight bitterly to maintain the status quo.  We fight tooth and nail with every fiber of our being against progress.”

“All you have to look is at the south during the Civil War or the south during the Civil Rights Movement in the sixties.  Even when the old way of doing things is clearly wrong and immoral, we fight bitterly to maintain that immoral status quo, for the pure and simple reason that we fear and hate change.”

“It doesn’t surprise me that certain people in SCW would be against change.  They are used to the status quo but the problem is that the status quo only benefited a particular clique of people and if you were not among those special group of people then you were an afterthought.  No one cared.  You were forgotten and opportunities would be denied.”

“A change has come to Supreme Championship Wrestling.  People fought against it but at Making Things Right change prevailed, progress prevailed, and now we are witnessing the dawn of a new era.  You can fight your enemies, you can fight your own family, you can fight just about anything under God’s creation but the one thing you cannot fight is change.  Change is a necessary part of life and those who do not change and adapt are doomed to one fate…”

A sinister grin forms on Marie’s face “...extinction.”

The Crown Jewel of Professional Wrestling turns from the camera but only to make her way up the steel steps.  She ascends the steps and then steps up onto the ring apron.  From there she steps through the ropes and into the ring.  The camera zooms in as she spins around slowly for one three-hundred sixty degree turn, taking in the entirety of the squared circle, before turning to face the camera once more.

“This ring is my second home.  I grew up in and around this business watching my mother and my aunt dominate this sport.  I also watched dirty business dealings and corruption become the rule of law within this great sport that my family loved.  I hated it and I thought I alone could make a difference.  I thought I alone could be a force for good and change things for the better.  But I was wrong.  Everywhere I went, corruption followed and I couldn’t do anything about it.  That’s why I came to Supreme Championship Wrestling in the first place; my mother promised me that this company was different.”

Marie shook her head. “She was wrong and I was naive to believe her.  But instead of doing nothing, instead of taking my ball and going home, I decided to do my part to turn things around.  I did my part to bring about a new era in SCW.  And I proudly stand by Katya, Syren, and the rest of Dark Fantasy in order to truly make things right here in SCW.”

“No pun intended.” Marie chuckles.

“Jokes like Derek Adonis will never again get opportunities handed to them simply because they’re funny.  Drugged up hippies like Giovanni Aries will no longer get ahead because his insane rantings draw ratings.  And spoiled brats like Owen won’t get opportunities handed to them simply because his last name is Cruze.”

Jones reaches up and takes off the sunglasses.  She places them in her coat pocket.  The camera now gets a good shot of the intensity in Marie’s eyes.

“I have been busting my ass since I signed my SCW contract.  I have a record of success as a former Television and United States Champion.  I have beaten former world champions.  And yet again and again I was passed over for title shots in favor of druggies, cheap porn star rip offs, and annoying side show freaks just because they were entertaining.”

“Entertainment; now there’s a funny word.  It means a lot of things but it has nothing to do with the purpose of our sport.  This is WRESTLING and it is a competitive sport entirely based upon victory.  This isn’t about making the fans laugh.  This is about winning.  And I have been doing that week in and week out and I have been ignored by management for too long.”

“Now dear sweet Sasha can cry all day long about how the ‘fans’ voted me to receive a world title shot at the End of the Year Special.  But when you peel back the skin a little bit you have to realize just how sad it is that it took a fucking fan vote for me to get a world championship match when I should have had one all along.”

“And that’s what makes this championship match against Syren on Breakdown even more special.  I didn’t get this title match because the ignorant fans felt sorry for me.  I have this world championship match because I deserve it, because SCW management gave me what I rightfully deserve.”

“So to the Giovanni Aries’s of the world who are still looking for imaginary lizard people, the Derek Adonis’s of the world cutting their life short by stuffing their fat faces with food while shilling porn to kids, and to the Owen Cruze’s of the world who are just bitching because they’re no longer having the world handed to them on a silver fucking platter, get used to the new status quo.  Change has come to Supreme Championship Wrestling and it is here to stay.”

She pats herself on the chest. “And I am a representative of that change.  I am your star of today and the real star of tomorrow.  And soon, very soon, I will be your SCW World Champion.”

“Which brings me to Syren…” a confident grin forms on her face as she pauses, letting the viewing audience consider her next words “...you truly are one of the greatest wrestlers in the world.  And I am honored to get to face you for the SCW World Championship, not just because of the magnitude of the match, but because out of everyone I have ever dealt with, you alone have kept your promises to me.”

“UWA never gave me my rematch at their world championship.”

“SCW never gave me the opportunities I was promised when I signed my SCW contract.”

“But you, you promised me that if you were to win back the SCW World Championship that you would grant me a title opportunity.  I will admit that I had my doubts, mainly because I have been wronged so many times by everyone else I have ever done business with, but I can pleasantly say I was wrong.  And I can now say thank you for giving me a real opportunity at the world championship.”

“And I can also now ask forgiveness in advance.  Forgive me, Syren, for cutting your title reign short.”

The Phoenix nods her head. “You see, I have heard all of the talk from everyone on the outside looking in.  None of them expect this to be competitive.  They expect that I’ll just lay down for you.  Anyone who knows me knows that I do not lie down for anyone.  I am a Jones and I am too damn stubborn to quit and too damn stubborn to die.  I am too damn competitive to just let anyone win, no matter how grateful I am to them for the help they have given me.”

“And I know you wouldn’t want it any either way.  You are a warrior in the same spirit as my mother,” she pauses to rethink her words “or rather I should say, a warrior in the same spirit as my mother USED to be.  You remind me of the kind of warrior my mother used to be; never say die attitude, never listened to her critics, she just went to the ring, kicked ass, and left.  And just like my mother was, you ARE the best in the world at what you do.”

“As a true warrior and a competitor to the core, you wouldn’t want anyone to just lie down for you.  So I can promise you this, Syren...I am going to bring my A-Game.  You are going to get a firsthand experience of the absolute best Marie Jones this wrestling industry has ever seen.  And I know that’s what you want and I also know that’s what SCW needs right now.  They need to see a competition between two of the very best wrestlers on this roster right now.  They need to see what this new era in SCW is all about…”

“...fairness, justice, and true competition.  Two warriors inside the ring fighting to see who is the best.”

Marie sighs and shakes her head.  “And it is for that reason that I apologize...I apologize because I WILL be the best, I KNOW I am the best, and that means I am going to defeat you for the SCW World Championship.”

She pats herself on the chest. “Much like you, I too am a competitor to the core.  I will never settle for second best.  And I will leave Breakdown as the new SCW World Champion.  Then I can return the favor…”

Jones nods her head “...that’s right, I will return the favor and after becoming SCW World Champion, I will grant you your rematch.  Anytime, anywhere.  And unlike the cowards who kept the title away from you, out of fear of you and what you are capable of, I will live up to my promise, just as you lived up to yours.  Because I am not afraid of you and I am not afraid of failure.  I’ve met failure before, I’ve tasted it before, but no more.”

Marie shakes her head. “This is a time of change and things are damn sure going to change starting on Breakdown.  No longer will I be the one who came up short, who cannot win the big one.  No longer will I be overlooked by the fans and management of Supreme Championship Wrestling.  No longer will the men and women who step into this squared circle look at me as an afterthought.  I am single handedly going to change the landscape by ushering in a new era; the era of Marie Jones as the world champion.”

Marie reaches into her coat pocket and produces her sunglasses.  She places them back on her head, covering her eyes.  A confident grin forms on her face.

“No one can fight change, Syren.  Not even you.”

“Every dominant species known to creation has tried to fight change.  The dinosaurs tried to fight it, the wooly mammoth, smilodon, and many other great creatures in the past have tried to fight change.”

“All of them went extinct.”

“The old south in the United States tried to and many argue still is trying to fight progress but they continue to lose that battle and one day they will ultimately lose that battle, because you cannot defeat change.”

“You can win a battle or a skirmish here and there, but you will never win the war against change.  I have been waiting patiently for a long damn time for this opportunity to become SCW World Champion and Syren, as much as I respect you and as grateful as I am for this opportunity, I am damn sure not going to let respect or gratefulness or anything else stand in my way.  Nothing will stand in the way of progress, nothing will stand in the way of the changing of the guard.”

Marie smirks knowingly. “You’re going to see why SCW kept holding me back.  SCW knew that all I needed was one fair opportunity, one fair shot at the World Championship and it would be mine.”

“My time is now, Syren.  And I’m not looking back.  So good luck, friend.  You’re going to need it.”

The camera fades to black.


No comments:

Post a Comment