Sunday, July 15, 2018

Penance


==========
Off Camera
==========

Arthur Pond is sitting with his wife on their plush cream colored leather sofa in the living room of their home in Boston, Massachusetts.  The living room area is comfortably big with carpeting that is cream colored, matching the sofa.  There is a flat screen television mounted to the wall above the fireplace.  There is a window against the wall allowing sunlight from outside to stream in. But that sunlight won’t last much longer.  It’s late in the day and the sun will begin to go down soon enough.  Two large potted plants are on either side of the window.  His lovely wife, Marie Jones, is clad in merely a pink nightgown with a matching pink robe overtop.  Her husband Arthur is wearing denim jeans, a plain white shirt, and brown loafers. He stares with a slight look of concern at his lovely redheaded wife.  And he has reason to be concerned.  She hasn’t been acting herself lately.  She’s been distant and quiet.

“Are you ok, Marie?”

“No, Arthur,” she shakes her head “I’m not.”

“Well what is it that’s bothering you?”

“I’m not sure you want to know.” Marie responds, shaking her head.  The truth is, she isn’t sure she wants to tell him.  Arthur insists, as he leans forward to stare deep into his wife’s eyes.

“You know you can talk to me about anything.”

“Not this.” She shakes her head again.

“You’re scaring me.” Arthur answers back. “Tell me; what’s wrong?”

“Arthur, I…” tears start to form in her eyes “…I’m sorry…”

“What are you apologizing for?  You haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Yes, I have.  I have done something terrible.  I cheated on you.”

“You…” his voice trails off as he is in disbelief “…wait, what?”

“Yes, I cheated on you.” Marie nods her head, repeating herself. “I’ve been sneaking out and staying out late, under a different name.  But it was me, I slept with him…”

“Slept with who?” Arthur’s voice grows louder as anger fills his heart.

“…Blake.”

“Blake Mason?!” Arthur stands up and starts pacing the floor. “You slept with him?!”

“Yes, I did and I’m sorry!  It was wrong of me, I betrayed your trust and our marriage!  I am sorry!”

“You’re sorry?” He stops and glares at her angrily. “Now you want forgiveness?”

“Please, Arthur!  I made a mistake!  I made a huge mistake and I know it!  But please, give me a chance…”

“I don’t know,” he sighs and shakes his head “maybe I can give you another chance, but I can’t think about that right now…not until I’ve cleared my head….”

Arthur turns and starts to storm away. “Where are you going?!”

“I’m going out for a walk.  If you can sneak out at night and not tell me anything, then you can allow me to do the same.”

A few moments later Marie hears the door slam shut, signaling Arthur has left.  She breaks down and cries.

No comments:

Post a Comment